I made this for a potluck birthday party a few years ago; it was a favourite.
I took all of my favourite pulao ideas and put them together into this one recipe and am happy to say it is the best one I have come up with so far!!!!!
This pulao has a unique flavour because of the cardamom and fried cashew and sultanas. Coconut is added to give a nutty flavour to the pulao. It is important to use ghee instead of vegetable oil as this also gives it a wonderful flavour.
1 cup brown Basmati rice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cardamom seeds (fresh from the pods)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
4 Tbsp desiccated coconut (unsweetened) or fresh grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper* (optional)
2 Tbsp ghee
3 Tbsp cashews or peanuts
3 Tbsp sultanas or raisins
2 1/4 cups water
- Wash the rice under flowing water to remove any dust etc.
- In a heavy skillet, add 1 Tbsp ghee.
- When the ghee becomes hot, add cashews and raisins.
- Fry until the cashews are lightly-browned turn.
- Remove from the pan and put them on a paper towel so that the ghee is absorbed.
- Again, keep the pan on heat, add 1 Tbsp ghee.
- When the ghee becomes hot, add mustard seeds.
- Then add cinnamon, pepper, cardamon seeds and coconut and fry until the coconut turns golden brown.
- Add rice and turmeric, stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add water, salt and mix well.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 50 – 55 minutes until the rice is tender and fluffy.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle fried cashews and raisins on top and serve hot.
* I never put the pepper in but I know many people like their Indian food spicy.
About Diana Herrington
I am the Founder and Author at Real Food For Life. Have been teaching cooking classes worldwide since 1982. Create original, healthy recipes and menus, which are gluten free and white sugar free. Also, the author of the GREEN means LEAN and Balance Your Body e-books. I turned a debilitating health crisis into a passion for helping others with healthy, sugar free, gluten free eating and cooking.