I HAD to learn this because of severe health problems due to my shallow breathing. Hopefully your situation will not be as severe. You can read my story at 13 Health Benefits of Breathing Deeply.
Most people I have worked with do not know how to breathe into their belly. There are all sorts of complicated lessons on breathing but really it does not have to be that difficult. After all babies do this naturally; it is not rocket science. What we want to do is get back to breathing the way we did as a baby.
- Lay down on your back on a bed.
- Put your hands on your belly.
- Breathe naturally and notice if your belly is going up and down.
- Now gently breathe into your belly; keep your hands gently on your belly.
- Keep breathing till you feel your belly going up and down gently.
- Do this breathing for 3 – 10 minutes depending on how much time you have.
- Every day do this when you first wake and when you go bed at night.
- Later do this while you are sitting, close your eyes because while you are sitting you are more likely to get distracted.
- Also, whenever you are upset or have a stomach ache find a place to do this. Laying down at the beginning is best but you can breathe while sitting.
- As time goes on, do this gentle breathing into your belly whenever you remember. Breathe while you on the computer, walking, watching a movie or talking with a friend or whenever. You do not have to put your hands on your belly that is just to help you become aware of your belly and breathing.
Eventually, as you continue to practice belly breathing you will notice that you are doing it as a regular thing. It could take months or a year or two which is ok. How long did it take you to stop the belly breathing you did as a baby?
Let me know how you progress with relearning how to belly breathe!
Here are a further 3 Powerful Yogic/chi-gong Breathing Exercises for health.
About Diana Herrington
I am the Founder and Author at Real Food For Life. Have been teaching cooking classes worldwide since 1982. Create original, healthy recipes and menus, which are gluten free and white sugar free. Also, the author of the GREEN means LEAN and Balance Your Body e-books. I turned a debilitating health crisis into a passion for helping others with healthy, sugar free, gluten free eating and cooking.
Category: Health Tips