Gluten free, dairy & egg free
Pears grow Edmonton! They are small but they are tasty and juicy. A friend lets me pick bags full of pears from his big tree. Thus, I get to make this very yummy gluten free cake made with healthy ingredients.
1/2 cup vegetable oil or coconut oil
1/2 cup rice syrup
1 tsp molasses
Mix together the next 4 ingredients for a gluten free flour mix:
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup white rice flour
5 Tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup water
For bottom of cake:
2 cups sliced pears for bottom
1 tsp arrowroot
3 tsp fresh ginger grated
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Oil 8” X 8”cake pan.
3. Slice 2 cups of pears.
4. Arrange pears into bottom of cake pan.
5. Sprinkle pears with arrowroot.
6. Sprinkle ginger over the pears.
7. Mix oil, rice syrup, and molasses.
8. Add 1 cup of gluten free flour, mix in well.
9. Add 1/3 cup water, mix in well.
10. Add 1 cup of gluten free flour, mix in well.
11. Add 1/3 cup water, mix in well.
12. Add 1/4 cup of gluten free flour.
13. Mix in well and quickly.
14. Immediately pour batter into cake pan on top of the pear mixture.
15. Spread the batter evenly over the pears.
16. Bake at 350º F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
17. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes on a cooling rack; it is too light and fragile to turn over. Once it cools a bit it will become firmer and easier to turn over.
18. Gently turn cake over onto a cooling rack. (loosen the edges of the cake with a knife first.) It is important to get it out of the pan as the pears on the bottom will make a soggy cake if you do not.
Another very good pear recipe: Pear Hazelnut Crumble
Learn about the 9 Healthy Gluten Free Flours
Healthy Online Baking Class – Gluten, Soy, Dairy Free and White Sugar free
Learn the skills and have confidence in the knowledge to bake healthy.
About Diana Herrington
I am the Founder and Author at Real Food For Life. Have been teaching cooking classes worldwide since 1982. Create original, healthy recipes and menus, which are gluten free and white sugar free. Also, the author of the GREEN means LEAN and Balance Your Body e-books. I turned a debilitating health crisis into a passion for helping others with healthy, sugar free, gluten free eating and cooking.