Most date squares are just way too sweet in my opinion. So when I developed this recipe; my own version is less sweet and tastes even better. You will find it hard to stop at only one.
1 large apple finely chopped
2 cups dates, chopped
1 cup water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup vegetable fat or coconut oil
1/3 cup rice syrup or honey
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup potato flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
- Simmer apples in water till soft.
- Add dates and simmer till soft.
- Mash well.
- Add lemon juice and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix vegetable fat, rice syrup and salt.
- First add flour; mix in.
- Then add oats, mix well.
- Pat 2/3 of the mixture into an 8 X 8 pan.
- Spread the date mixture on top of the oat mixture.
- Then sprinkle the other 1/3 of oat mixture on top of the dates.
- Lightly press down.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400º F. for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Dates are rich in natural fibers and lots of nutrients: calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, magnesium and many other trace nutrients.
- They are easily digested so they are great for giving quick energy.
- They have been found to help in the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
- Studies have shown that they can be good for those with a weak heart.
- They are good as a tonic for improving sexual stamina and preventing sterility.
- Oats have lots of manganese, are a very good source of selenium, vitamin B1, dietary fiber, magnesium, protein & phosphorus.
- 1 bowl of oatmeal a day (3 grams of soluble oat fiber) typically lowers total cholesterol by 8-23%.
Copyright © Diana Herrington You are welcome to share this article with anyone who you think may benefit from this information as long as you give credit to Real Food for Life by including the link to the home page www.RealFoodforLife.com or the direct link to this post.
About Diana Herrington
I am the Founder and Author at Real Food For Life. Have been teaching cooking classes worldwide since 1982. Create original, healthy recipes and menus, which are gluten free and white sugar free. Also, the author of the GREEN means LEAN and Balance Your Body e-books. I turned a debilitating health crisis into a passion for helping others with healthy, sugar free, gluten free eating and cooking.