Your body is amazing! It deals with a constant deluge of toxins from within and without and still ‘keeps on ticking’.
The body is not invincible though. I consider it only right that we give our bodies some help!
Toxins from Outside:
The toxins from the outside are what most people think of when they think of toxins.
1. We inhale them.
This includes household cleaning products, air fresheners, carpets, paints, glues, cigarette smoke and many more. Read my 16 Dangers of Indoor Air Pollution.
2. We swallow them in our food and water.
I follow the ‘Dirty Dozen Rule’ which means for that I watch the testing results of the top most toxic fruits and vegetables and just won’t eat them unless they are organic.
I can’t eat organic for everything though, and with the current state of our environment, even organic foods are not 100% safe.
Even buying from ‘organic health companies’ does not guarantee long term safety since many of them are being bought up by huge food corporations. This grocery store blacklist gives many examples.
3. We absorb them from our skin.
Consider the clothes you wear, the sheets you sleep on, and the towels you rub your skin with, have all been cleaned with detergents. Are they powerful and toxic?
Scientists estimate that you carry today in your body, at least 700 toxins, most of which have not been well studied.
There are 80,000 chemicals used with the US of which most of which are untested and unregulated.
Toxins Generated From Within:
For some of us, the toxins that our body creates itself are a bigger problem in long run.
1. Regular Metabolism and ‘Living’.
When we ‘burn’ carbs or proteins or fats for energy there are always by-products from this process which the body must treat like toxins and eliminate. Burning proteins can be inefficient and toxic but even the cleanest burning carbs leave residues.
2. Incomplete Digestion
- You can eat the purest food in the world, but if you eat too much of it, or you don’t chew your food to begin the digestive process properly, you will create a lot of waste that must be taken care of.
- You can create poor digestion by poor food combining. Some foods like proteins need a high acid level to begin digestion while carbohydrates start with a more alkaline environment. Eating poor combinations creates gas and toxins in the digestive tract.
- Some people just can’t properly digest gluten products and some grains. If they continue to eat large quantities of these foods like everyone else in our culture, they are continuously creating toxins and inflammation, disrupting their blood sugar and insulin levels, and becoming overweight.
What To Do?
1. The first step is to avoid toxins being consumed from the environment.
This involves being AWARE and reading labels a lot.
If this sounds boring, I understand. Luckily the level of detail will decrease over time as you know the good sources of foods and goods. I rarely read labels as I rarely buy food in packages. I mostly eat whole food which I call Real Food.
2. Periodic Detoxes
There are hundreds of different approaches and interpretations of a detox. My criteria for a detox are:
- To give the digestion system a break – this means it has easily digestible foods. Grains, protein and fat consumption are reduced. Fruits and vegetable are increased. Also no gluten products.
- It contains foods chosen to support the detox process; for example fiber and pectin to help cleanse the bowel, and specific foods to feed and energize the cleansing organs of liver and kidney and skin.
When and How to Detox?
I have done intense detoxes like the 21 day water fast and a week on a juice fast. I don’t recommend this for most people unless you are medically supervised as mine were. What I recommend and offer are simple Two Day Detoxes.
It is gentle enough that it won’t interfere with your functioning but powerful enough to create significant shifts in your body.
Learn everything about detoxing and get all your questions answered.
In this webinar you will learn:
- Why a detox is essential for lasting health.
- Why spring is the very best time for a detox.
- How a detox works.
- Difference between a cleanse, a detox and a fast and which is best.
- 5 essential foods for a cleanse.
- 5 essential herbs for a cleanse.
- Advanced Courses for Detoxing!