Do green smoothies really taste good?
I hear that question and see that look on peoples faces all the time when I talk about green smoothies. But everyone I serve one to is surprised at how good this green liquid tastes and they want more.
It really is a great way to begin your day with a 100% raw alkaline meal filled with powerfoods and they are very yummy because they are filled with the fruit you love.
I first learned of the raw movement and green smoothies from Victoria Boutenko of the ‘Raw Family’. She is truly the ‘Queen of Green Smoothies’. She invented green smoothies after much research in the library and her kitchen. She was searching for better health for her sick family. Now the whole family is very healthy.
Between You and Me: I do not eat anywhere near 100% raw foods. My diet is 40 – 70% raw depending on the season.
Despite being green, which sometimes scares people; green smoothies are actually very tasty and very good for us. They are filled with healthy greens such as Spinach and yummy fruits like raspberries and mangos.
10 Good Reasons to include Green Smoothies into your diet:
1. 100% Alkaline: Greens are the highest alkaline forming foods.
2. Very easy to digest: For many eating raw food is challenging for the digestive system as it was for me.
3. Highly Nutritious: The greens are full of vitamins A, K, D, and E which are all fat soluble. Vitamin K helps calcium and phosphorus bind onto the bone protein matrix. Here is a description of just one of the most common greens people use and one we recommend because it doesn’t have a bitter taste: Power up Your Day Like Popeye!
4. Eating more live foods: you consume more fresh fruit and greens.
5. Filled with lots of fiber which we know we need for elimination. Freshly made vegetable juice is easy to digest but lacks fiber. Filled with Smart Carbs not Dumb Carbs
6. You will get more of the nutrients in a well blended green smoothie. Most of the cells in the greens and fruits are broken down; they actually begin to be digested in your mouth.
7. Simple and quick to make and they actually taste good because they have lots of sweet fruit in them.
8. Greens help widen our blood vessels, helping the blood flow, inhibits the development of blockages, and destroys inflammation because they are full of a gas called nitric oxide.
9. Greens are full of chlorophyll that purifies the blood, prevents tooth decay, aids in proper digestion, helps detoxify the liver, keeps the thyroid gland in balance, cleanses internal organs, enhances capillary function, supports sex hormones, decontaminates inorganic chemicals, and builds up red blood cell counts according to Dr. Ann, Dr. Bernard Jensen and G. P. Earp-Thomas of Bloomfield Laboratories. Read more about how Greens Are Good for Us
10. Improved health: Many notice the ability to sleep less, better elimination, stronger nails, and teeth. Smoothies have made such a big difference in my life that we provide Weedend Web Bootcamps with smoothies in mind.
How to make a green smoothie taste good:
- They need to be made correctly (see recipe links below).
- Use fruit that you enjoy eating.
- At first use light tasting greens like spinach and not too many.
- They need to be blended very well; there will be no lumps or pieces of greens.
- They taste good because they are filled with yummy sweet fruit.
How to get all of the nutrients in greens:
You have to really chew them well and have a very high level of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Both of these are difficult to achieve.
- Let the blender chew the greens.
- Adding fruits that are acidic to begin with you are adding an ingredient that helps the greens to digest.
- The fruit makes the greens taste good so you enjoy eating your greens.
Victoria Boutenko says: “Let me point out that although I didn’t like greens, Igor simply couldn’t tolerate them, which is pretty typical of Russian men. Another two months later his moustache and his beard started growing blacker, which made his face look a lot younger. Igor got so excited about this that he became the green smoothie champion of my family. He would wake up early and make two or three gallons of smoothie every day: one for me, one for him, and one for Sergei and Valya to share.”
Listen to Victoria Boutenko – Queen of Raw explain how she invented the ‘Green Smoothie’ and loves them because they taste so good.
How to be very economical:
Food combining concerns?
- Vegetables and fruits together?
You may have heard that it is not good to combine fruits and vegetables. True to some extent; starchy vegetables like carrots, cauliflower and broccoli do not combine well with fruits. In fact they will cause fermentation and gas in the intestines which can be very uncomfortable. Also, you will not be getting the full nutrition from those fruits and vegetables.
Green leafy vegetables combine well with every food. So yes, green leafies combine well with fruit. Jane Goodall says that she has seen monkeys making a sandwich of green leaves covering fruit.
- Should fats be in your smoothie?
According to food combining this is a no no. But what we know that good fats help with the absorption of our fat soluble Vitamins like K and E, and the absorption of minerals. The abundance of greens in the smoothie in my opinion is helped with a little fat such as in flax seeds, a few soaked nuts or seeds or flax oil. As I said just a little not a lot cause we don’t want to get fat.
What to do with left over green smoothie:
- Immediately pour into a jar that will be filled up to the top and put the lid on and refrigerate till later in the day or for the next morning. Do not do this if you will not be consuming it within 24 hours.
- Pour into a jar making sure there is 1/3 of the jar empty; freeze it for future use.
- Pour into ice cube trays to use in a punch or a cool summer drink.
- Make it into popsicles for a healthy summer treat for the children.
- Add it to your salad dressing to make it extra healthy.
- Share your green smoothie with a friend, a neighbour or a co-worker while it is still fresh.
Next page: My personal favorite green smoothie recipes
I love my morning green smoothie for breakfast and as you can see I am enjoying it very much. It’s very different from the norm. You can read about it here: Diana’s Green Smoothie with a Difference
It helps me start my day with a raw alkaline meal that tastes so good and it is filled with good nutrition. If you have not tried them yet, be brave; make a green smoothie for a snack today. Join me on our next BootCamp and learn how to make green smoothies.
Lots of tasty green smoothie recipes for you:
- Green Orange Spinach Smoothie Super easy tasty smoothie to make with only 2 main ingredients.
- 3 Minute Green Smoothie Randy makes a fast delicious meal.
- Raw Green Smoothie part 2 with Bloopers See what happens when you don’t put your blender lid on.
- Green Raspberry Smoothie/Pudding It’s a healthy smoothie. Its a tasty pudding! No… It’s WHATEVER YOU LIKE!
- Green Smoothie Blueberry/Apple Pudding Another of my personal favorites that I eat often because it is super yummy.