Sweet juicy red raspberries are so good!
Did You Know?
- Raspberries are a member of the rose family.
- They are not just red: there are also black, purple and gold raspberries.
- The average raspberry has 100 to 120 seeds.
- Unripe raspberries do not ripen after they are picked!
Good news is that raspberries are one of the Powerfoods!
- High in vitamin C; they provide over half you daily requirement.
- High in manganese, a trace mineral that helps keep your metabolic rate high.
- Naturally have no cholesterol.
- Contain ellagic acid, a natural substance which is an anti-carcinogenic (cancer-preventing).
- Small amounts of B-complex vitamins, calcium and vitamin A and iron.
- One cup of raspberries provides 8.34 g of dietary fibre.
- Are one of the top 10 antioxidant-high fruits and vegetables!
- The seeds are rich in vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids and have a natural SPF (sun protection factor) of 25 to 50.
- No sodium.
- 1 cup has only 64 calories.
Raspberries are very easy to grow. I started with one raspberry bush 11 years ago and now have a big raspberry batch! I picked over 8 buckets full this summer. In fact I have been having buckets full for at least 7 years.
Right now I am eating a large bowl of raspberries (after I pick them) every morning for breakfast. mmmmm I just love being able to do that.
What do I do with all those raspberries?
- Freeze lots of them so I have fruit all year.
- Make Raspberry ‘Vinaigrette’.
- Make jam.
- Give some to neighbours and friends.
- And of course I eat lots of them while they are fresh and in season.
Copyright ©Diana Herrington You are welcome to share this article with anyone who you think may benefit from this information as long as you give credit to Real Food for Life by including the link to the home page www.RealFoodforLife.com or the direct link to this post.
About Diana Herrington
I am the Founder and Author at Real Food For Life. Have been teaching cooking classes worldwide since 1982. Create original, healthy recipes and menus, which are gluten free and white sugar free. Also, the author of the GREEN means LEAN and Balance Your Body e-books. I turned a debilitating health crisis into a passion for helping others with healthy, sugar free, gluten free eating and cooking.