The Scoop on Laundry Detergents
Laundry detergent and fabric softeners can be very toxic, thus we are polluting our home environment. Very early in my life, I found that the main stream laundry detergents and fabric softeners created itchiness after washing my clothes in them. I had to find alternatives and am happy to say I am never itchy from my clothes or bedding.
These chemical laundry detergents are filled with toxic chemicals such as these few below:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate – EVS Rresearch studies on SLS have shown links to: Organ and Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, ecotoxicology, and biochemical or cellular changes, and possible mutations and cancer.
- Phenols have been linked to serious health conditions and even death.
- Optical brighteners make clothes look whiter but studies have shown them to be extremely toxic to fish and can cause mutations in bacteria.
There are many more chemicals but you get the idea. They are not a healthy thing to use.
Since the 70’s I have always stayed away from the big brands like Tide which is the most toxic. Do not use one of the 7 Most Toxic Laundry Detergents listed below if you value you and your family’s health and the wellness of our planet. Best to use one of 7 Least Toxic Laundry Detergents listed below.
7 Healthy (Least Toxic) Laundry Detergents
1. Seventh Generation Natural Powder Laundry Detergent, Real Citrus & Wild Lavender
2. Dr. Bronner’s 18-in-1 Hemp Pure-Castile Soap, Peppermint
3. Dr. Bronner’s 18-in-1 Hemp Pure-Castile Soap Baby Mild
4. Seventh Generation Natural Powder Laundry Detergent, White Flower & Bergamot Citrus
5. Martha Stewart Clean Laundry Detergent
6. Green Shield Organic Laundry Detergent, Free & Clear
7. Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Powder, Free & Clear
7 Most Toxic Laundry Detergents
2. Ivory Snow Gentle
3. Tide Free
4. Purex (Dial Corp.)
5. Gain 2X Ultra (P&G)
6. Cheer BrightClean Detergent (P&G)
7. Era 2X Ultra (P&G)
Also, read the discussion: Clean your clothes the Non-Toxic Way!
Also…. WHY We Need to Detox.
About Diana Herrington
I am the Founder and Author at Real Food For Life. Have been teaching cooking classes worldwide since 1982. Create original, healthy recipes and menus, which are gluten free and white sugar free. Also, the author of the GREEN means LEAN and Balance Your Body e-books. I turned a debilitating health crisis into a passion for helping others with healthy, sugar free, gluten free eating and cooking.